Thursday 23 May 2013

The invisible turntable

No sooner had I finished that last blog post than I had a thought.  Turntables.  Scotsgap had one, so did Rothbury, Reedsmouth, Alston, and just about everywhere else in Northumberland where trains terminated.  Belstone would have had a turntable, only a little one to be sure, but it would have had one.  But where?

Perhaps Scotsgap again provides the answer.  The turntable and inspection pit were on the other side of the road bridge from the station and water tower.  In model railway terms, in the fiddle yard.  So instead of shortening the loco servicing road I need to lengthen it, to go under the road bridge and into the fiddle yard the other side (where, as it happens, there actually is a turntable, to reduce the need for handling small delicate locomotives).

The main problem with this is that I have deliberately spaced the servicing road well away from the running line, which means I will have to lift and relay the access pointwork and the bay platform road. Meh. That will teach me to make cocky blog posts about layout planning.  Lucky I haven't started ballasting yet....

No comments: