Wednesday 8 May 2013

Animal magnetism

Last time I stopped modelling, one of my works in progress was an under-track electromagnetic uncoupler to use with Microtrains knuckle couplers.  These are designed to use large permanent magnets sitting between the rails, but I didn't like that idea much.  The MT couplers have steel pins beneath them which need to be pulled sideways to uncouple: by drawing back slightly to allow the couplers to spring fully open, an uncoupled vehicle can be propelled to its final position and left there.  The couplers are neat and unobtrusive, so all I had to do was come up with an uncoupling system.

Well, after three evenings of messing about with solenoids, iron nails and lumps of steel I am no nearer to solving the problem.  I can't lay any track, because I would have to install the uncouplers first, and I don't have a design that works.  Part of the problem is that under-track electromagnets tend to pull the coupler pins down as well as sideways, which makes the couplers bind and stick.  So I am giving up.  Not giving up modelling, but giving up with the MT couplers.

I still want remote uncoupling with the delayed-action feature of the MT couplers, and there are several alternative systems out there.  Favourites seem to be the B&B and DG designs, both of which are very reasonably priced.  The B&B system looks less fiddly to assemble and the couplers come pre-blackened, but are only available through the N Gauge Society.  I was going to join anyway so I can buy some of their hopper wagon kits.

The great thing about the B&B couplers is that they work beautifully with simple single pole under-track electromagnets. So I can drill a few holes in the trackbed, lay some track and worry about installing the uncouplers later.  Time to get out the tracklaying tools.

Meanwhile, stuff on my 'worry about it later' list includes modifying SEEP point motors to give a shorter throw, wiring a live frog diamond crossing (I have read the wiring instructions until my head hurts and still don't understand them) and putting some legs under my baseboard so I don't have to clear the dining room table every time I want to work on it.


No comments: